Sunday, March 24, 2013

In high school, I was bullied.

It feels kinda weird, a little embarrassing, and a lot of sad to say.

I don't think I even knew that I was being bullied at the time, because I really just wanted to be friends with them. They weren't bullies to me, they were just people that didn't like me for some reason that I could never figure out.

Now, saying that they were bullies feels kinda weird, but it's the truth and I shouldn't feel weird about it anymore.

I was lucky enough to have one really good friend and some long-distance cousins that made it bearable for me. I didn't have the strongest testimony of the gospel and did not understand how useful the atonement could have been for me as a resource for happiness at the time, so that one friend and those cousins were absolutely necessary for me. By eleventh grade it all stopped and I really loved my last two years of high school.

I don't think that just because a bully is labeled as such makes them a bad person. Sometimes bullies just want friends. All times they are insecure. They just use different methods than some to try to achieve security and friendship. The fact of it all is that they really do not realize what they are doing to the person they bully. That is what I love about this message. The two girls are insecure, obviously. They try to feel more secure by making fun of others, obviously. But what they just haven't thought about is what their actions did to this girl. The shock on their faces when she falls to the ground says it all. Sorry to show two kind of depressing PSA's in a row, but I really feel passionate about teaching kids, teens, and adults alike about how their actions affect others.


 

2 comments:

  1. I really liked reading this post and I am really glad you shared it! Bullying is something that is so hard to deal with, but yet really important to address. There is a movie that came out that I still haven't seen but would like to about bullying. I think I might post the trailer on my blog now that I think of it. Thanks again for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thank you for sharing! I'm sure it wasn't the easiest thing to do. That video shares a powerful yet frightening message. If only we knew what kind of impact our words and actions have.. I think we'd treat everyone with a lot more kindness!

    ReplyDelete