Thursday, March 7, 2013

"You are capable of much more than looking hot"

Recently there has been some publicity about a campaign being put on by a nonprofit called Beauty Redefined.
Basically, they are protesting Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition and other risque magazines by putting post-its over them that say things like "You are capable of much more than looking hot" and "There is more to be than eye candy"
Photo from Beauty Redefined
I think this is really cool. Like they have pointed out, the images on these magazines are about as "uncovered" and pornographic as Playboy and other dirty magazines, but those are usually in the back shelves with covers over them to protect little and/or sensitive eyes.

On the other hand, the statements made seem to be what is actually fueling the controversy. Modeling industries especially are offended at the accusations that underlie the post-its. They are not, they say, trying to make people feel bad about themselves or lower young girls' self-esteem.

So I think the statements could have been a little less accusatory like "Put it in the back!" or something extremely clever like that (hope you're catching my sarcasm)

We just want everyone to be happy. If you must have your Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, then please make it a little harder for those of us with a little more sensitivity to risque images to see. Although, I would of course prefer that it didn't exist to begin with.




4 comments:

  1. That is really awesome! I actually do like to move the magazines with the risque covers to the back, or flip them around when I am in a grocery line. I am not only doing it for the public's good, but really, my own. I do not want to see half-naked women! It offends me because I feel like it degrades who I am as a woman. So I like this campaign. It's a great way to get people thinking about how media affects them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love this message. Good for them for being bold enough to send the message out that there is more to a woman than just her looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I truly hate how the media objectifies women. I just wrote a post about the challenges of being a woman in today's society. Women don't need the extra pressure of being surrounded by unrealistic sex and body expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool! I really appreciate the message this is trying to send, especially after watching that video in class yesterday.

    ReplyDelete