I have always admired and respected members of the LDS faith who have homosexual tendencies but are able to put their desires aside in order to obey the commandments. I often wonder if I would have had the faith to go through such a difficult trial in my life. I know that with the faith that I have in my heart right now, I definitely would. But I also think that it would be hard to have the faith that I have if I knew that God had given me that seemingly unbearable trial in my life. Nevertheless, there are people who have been able to "come to terms" with it or who have the faith in God to know that He will make everything work out in the end.
I love this video of a guy named Jimmy Hales. Not only has he decided to come out of the closet to his friends and family as an openly gay and faithful Mormon, but he has chosen to look at it humorously and even lightheartedly. The reactions of his family, especially his mom, were so loving and nonjudgmental - something else that I completely admire about this man's story. Some YouTube commenters thought some of these reactions were rude, but I was mostly impressed with the way people reacted. I think some of the people may have been worried because they didn't understand that he intended to practice celibacy, and I can understand their fears of thinking their good friend might not believe in the church anymore. Overall, I think this video teaches us to love all people (regardless of their choices), to especially show love to those who feel alone, that homosexuality is not the worst thing that can happen to a friend or family member or yourself, to have an eternal perspective, and to more earnestly welcome faithful and obedient homosexual members into the church.
Wow. That video is great. I admire him so much!
ReplyDelete