Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Boycotting?

Ever since Chick-fil-a came out with a statement that they support the biblical definition of the family, there has been an onslaught of people who support gay rights who refused to eat mor chikin.
At first I was pretty peeved. I thought to myself "How on earth can you refuse to eat somewhere just because they have different beliefs from you??" 
Then I remembered during Prop 8 when McDonald's gave a bunch of money to the No on 8 campaign. A whole bunch of people that I knew from church and in my family said they didn't want to go to McDonald's anymore (honestly, I'll bet most of them didn't go in the first place). 
I remember thinking that was a little over the top, but I wasn't quite as peeved. 
But If I am going to be consistent with my beliefs, then I should have thought the same thing:
"How on earth can you refuse to eat somewhere just because they have different beliefs from you?" 

It's hard to try to be morally correct all the time. 

Anyways, so I tried to convince myself that if we shouldn't boycott places because of their beliefs, then it had to go both ways. But then I started thinking about if I worked for a company that didn't have high values and then it was all over the place. 

So I'm just trying to figure out what I think about boycotting and corporations having social values. 

And I think I have it. 

Every company has the right to do with their surplus what they will. As long as that money doesn't go toward something that will devalue, demoralize, or injure human beings then I think I can be okay with it. I support people having their own beliefs. Yes, it may come to pass that companies I purchase from or work for will different values from me and they may use their power and money and the money I give them to eventually bring to pass what I don't think to be right. But I am going to be okay with that. 

Chick-fil-a is way better than McDonald's anyways... 

1 comment:

  1. I'd never really thought of it this way. Thanks for the insight! :) ...and yes, Chick-fil-a IS way better than McDonald's :)

    ReplyDelete