Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The world loves repentance

It must have been in this class that someone said it.
Something like: "Just look at how much everyone loves Les Mis, people are naturally attracted to the idea that people change and that bad people are capable of becoming good people through God."
Or something like that.
It probably wasn't even in this class.

ANYWAYS
I talked to my husband about that idea yesterday. Just how amazing it is to think that people all over the world are attracted to the idea of repentance. As members of the church, we know that if we focus our lives on Christ, he will make us stronger, better, kinder, more charitable, happier, etc. -but I think other people kind of know it too! Their souls remember that they are capable of becoming better people too. They want to become better, they just don't realize that Christ is who allows us to become a little more perfect everyday. I'm not saying that people who don't believe in Christ can't better themselves, but I am saying that these people don't realize that He's pretty much the reason for their improvements. I'm lucky enough to know that He is the reason that I am able to improve even just a little bit.

So in honor of the amazing musical number by Professor Coyne and her sister, here are some words that prove to us that Jesus Christ is the way to become a little bit better, a little holier, have a little more patience, gratitude, and be a little bit more like Him.

More holiness give me, more strivings within.
More patience in suffering, more sorrow for sin.
More faith in my Savior, more sense of His care.
More joy in His service, more purpose in prayer.
More gratitude give me, more trust in the Lord.
More zeal for His glory, more hope in His Word.
More tears for His sorrows, more pain at His grief.
More meekness in trial, more praise for relief.
More purity give me, more strength to o’ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains, more longings for home.
More fit for the kingdom, more useful I’d be,
More blessèd and holy, more, Savior, like Thee.

Painting by Greg Olsen 

3 comments:

  1. I think this is so true! Makes me think of Wicked's song "Wonderful" when it says "The most celebrated are the rehabilitated." The world really does love stories of those who have improved despite the odds against them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has the light of Christ in them whether they know it or not. That light is what attracts us to truth and more light.
    I still need to see Les Mis! I heard it has made men cry. It must be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you that people innately remember that they can become better people, even when they aren't members of any church. People love the possibility of becoming their best selves, which makes the transformation story an everlasting one. In addition to what you have said, I hope that because I have the truth of the Gospel, I can become a better person even more so.

    ReplyDelete